Today Ryan and I had the privilege of participating in the Draper Temple Dedication.
Ryan has been looking forward to this for a couple of weeks now. Last week we met with a member of our bishopric and received our recommends for the event.
There was a different feeling in the church today. A feeling that I wish was present always. Our stake center became an extension of the temple, and I was honored that I was able to participate.
We arrived at the church at 3pm. The doors weren't scheduled to open until 3:15. We were ushered to the back of the parking lot, so I watched as a few cars pulled in and decided that we should go stand in line. The wind was fierce, but I was afraid that if I didn't get in line, a larger line would form and we would have gotten there early for nothing.
As we approached the door, a gentleman inside opened it for us. We were lucky.
We were asked not to bring anything with us and to try and refrain from speaking once we had taken our seats.
It was EXTREMELY reverent. I was so pleased with Ryan. From the time we sat down to the time we left, it was 3 hours. That is a long time to sit for a little guy. He was quiet too.
I was reminded there why we have temples. They are not something that are made up. Temples were built in biblical times, so why then wouldn't the Lord want his people to have them in this day?
I am thankful for what temples mean to me. I am thankful that I have a family that is sealed to me for eternity. And while I may not understand the eternal scheme of things, the temple gives me perspective.
For all of this, I have a grateful heart.
Deni,
ReplyDeleteI love you! Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts and experience. I have to admit I wasn't as good as you...I got pretty antsy sitting for so long. Thank you for the beautiful reminder of what a blessing it was to witness such a sacred event.
What a cool thing to do with your son. I was able to go through the open house while out a few weeks ago. Very cool. I wish we had one closer that our girls could go through.
ReplyDelete