Today my cup was filled. Sometimes it just seems to dump itself on the counter and spread onto the floor, but today it was refilled.
I went to an Enrichment on temples, and then Cherie Call, an LDS music artist shared her talents. Both women that addressed us were amazing. It was an experience that Cherie spoke of that I would like to dedicate this post.
She talked of a time that she found out that one of her ancestors was on the Mayflower. She wanted to know more about this woman. She wanted to know if she was like her. She talked of how her mother used to iron everything, and how she was NOT going to be like that. Then she found herself ironing her her jeans and t-shirts while in college. When she started asking around, she learned that the women in her family used to iron clothes to make money. So, this ironing had been passed from generation to generation.
As she told her story, I started thinking about the women in my life that I could readily trace back. What was it about me that could be traced back to things that have been done for generations. I haven't talked to anyone, but I can see things that I do in my life that were done by my mom, that were learned by my grandmother. I can only imagine that these things were learned perhaps from my great grandmother.
For example, I learned to cook from my mom and my grandma. I am thankful to each of these women for the skills that they taught me. Both my mom and my grandma sew. I don't suppose I will ever be like my mom or my grandma with my sewing skills. My mom can do anything, but when we were shipped puppets the day before Halloween instead of a Halloween costume, I had to use my sewing skills to make Ryan a Pirate Costume. It wasn't the Jack Sparrow that we had ordered, but Ryan loved it and was proud to say that it was hand made. I attribute this to my mom. It was something she would have done. I wouldn't have been without a costume. Matter of fact, because of a George Washington coat she made for my brother when he was a young boy, I had a Pirate's coat for Jack Sparrow.
I remember bottling vegetables and fruit with my grandma as a kid. This is something that I love to do today. I am so blessed to be able to have these skills.
I have noble women in my family. Women of faith. Women who make something out of nothing to provide for their families. Women that I hope that one day I will be more like.
Thank you Mom and Grandma Bowers for helping to mold me to who I am today.
No comments:
Post a Comment