Sunday, February 08, 2009

Blessed

I have been so blessed to have a good family.

Tonight I made stew for dinner. Actually it was more like lunch as we get out of church at 12pm and we ate around 2:30.

We went to a meeting at the church and when we got home I had some leftovers. They were so good. I was reminded of the stew that my grandma would make when my parents were building their house. It would be cold outside and grandma would make a pot of stew and come cornbread.

I was taken back to a time in my life that I cherish the memory of.

Grandma and Grandpa Bowers were living in our small town helping build our new home, the home my parents still live in.

I remember staying with them.

On fast Sunday, they often wouldn't eat until 10pm because they had worked so hard the day before and had eaten at 10pm then and they were observing a 24-hour fast. I was always impressed by that.

Grandma could make anything. I remember well taking baths in their home and having a little net bag full of small pieces of soap. I loved that. Looking back now I realize that she was just using it up. Frugal.

Grandpa Bowers like his eggs the way I do. Scrambled soft.

I miss him. He was such a fun grandpa.

I am thankful to be a part of such a family.

I'm Blessed.

3 comments:

  1. What awesome memories. I didn't know your Grandpa Bowers very well, but our family sure does love our Grandma Bowers. So glad she has adopted us into her family. She is so good to ALL of our kids and they ALL love her.

    ps...your running amazes me!! I couldn't run 15 miles in an entire year:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss him, too. Daddy could relate to being the youngest. He said it didn't matter how old you became, your siblings still didn't think you had enough sense to come in out of the rain. Maybe it isn't that bad, but at least I knew he understood. He was such a good man, Father, priesthood holder, example, friend, carpenter......you get the picture? He's not the only one I have been missing. That crazy blonde has had a lot of my thoughts. Then there is Mom. Talk about amazing. You are a lot like her. You can do anything, too.

    ReplyDelete