Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I Thank Thee O' God for a Prophet

With the passing of President Hinckley last week, I personally have spent some time pondering and even reading several articles regarding church policy on several issues. As many know, yesterday a new prophet for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was announced at 11am MST. Sydney gets out of preschool at 11am so I picked her up a little early so I could be home for the announcement. Many people assumed the new prophet would be Thomas S Monson, and their assumptions proved correct. President Henry B. Eyring and Dieter F Uchtdorf were also announced as the new counselors to President Monson. As I stood my bedroom and watched these marvelous men, I couldn't help but be, as President Uchtdorf said, joyfully overwhelmed. My eyes welled up with tears and my heart was full of gratitude for a loving Heavenly Father, who in his infinite wisdom, has set up such an organization. The work of the Lord is moving forward, and the kingdom of God is being built here upon the earth.

One of the media outlets posed the question about the church being an international church, with more of its members being outside the US than inside. They asked if the calling of President Uchtdorf was to show that the church wanted to represent more international members. President Uchtdorf responded that the Quorum of the 12 Apostles, and the First Presidency, did not represent one particular group of people, rather they are representatives of Jesus Christ. I was very moved by that response. It touched me and solidified my testimony that we are here on the Lord's errand. I think that sometimes it is hard to realize the eternal perspective of things, but events such as what happened yesterday help us realize that God knows each individual. He knows what the people of this world need and all we need to do is turn to him and he will direct our paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment