Thursday, January 31, 2008

Parable of a Princess

Tonight the Young Women had their annual Values Conference to honor the young women who finished their personal progress. I have to admit, I really didn't want to go. I could have really used a break this week with young women's, but I am so glad I went. The Stake asked a few people to come and present a program called the Parable of a Princess by Jenny Phillips. There was a story about three princesses who were asked by their father to build a castle so that he could return to them and visit. He told them that there was a line that they could not cross, for if they did the enemy would get them. He also gave them a book and told them that if they would read the book they would remember Him as he would be gone for a long time. One day the princesses took a walk in the forest and found a mirror. One of the princesses was very beautiful. She had long shiny black hair and shiny blue eyes. She had a slender body frame and was stunning. Another Princess wasn't as beautiful. Her brown hair wasn't as shiny, and her eyes were brown, not blue like her sisters. She also had a slightly larger body frame. The last sister was the least beautiful of all.

The story continues and each princess lives their lives differently. It goes on to tell about the princess who crosses the line into enemy territory. She thought she would automatically be hurt by the enemy so she only went a few steps at a time. She entered into a castle where there were people laughing and dancing and having a good time. They all dressed beautifully and she thought to herself that her father had mistaken her. There was no enemy that was taking her down. Over time she started to realize that what she was doing was poisoning her. As she tried to leave, she couldn't. She had a shackle and chain around her ankle that did not allow her to leave. She started to call out to her father and her brother was sent to rescue her. He suffered much to allow her to leave enemy territory and return to the right side to finish her castle.

The second princess that was not as beautiful as the first was obsessed with the mirror they found in the forest. She continually changed the way she dressed and filled her life with many things. As she did she was unable to finish her castle.

The third princess worked hard on her castle. Her hands were worn from the chiseling she did to the mortar and rock. While she was not the most beautiful on the outside, the townspeople loved her. She served the community and helped others build their castles.

The day finally came that a familiar voice was heard in the land. While it was not the Father who had returned to greet his princess daughters, it was His Son, their brother, heir to the throne. He greeted each of them and thanked them for what they had done on their castles. The first princess hadn't stared early, but since she was rescued from her brother, she had worked so hard to build her castle. The second princess apologized that her castle wasn't built. She had just gotten too busy. The third princess was working on the interior of her castle when she felt a familiar hand on her shoulder. She recognized her brother and he said to her "Well done thou good and faithful princess." She apologized that her castle wasn't completed and he told her not to worry that he would do the rest. She saw a beautiful light rest upon her and her castle was lifted into the heavens. As she looked up, she saw her father, tears streaming down his face. He embraced her and welcomed her back into his presence.

Many of us know this story and it is to you who read this that I ask, How is your castle? I know that mine needs a lot of work. For years I was the princess on the other side of the line in the magnificent castle that had fun and laughter. For a time I was the princess that was obsessed about my life and too busy for the things that are most important.

Since my sister passed away, I have realized more than ever how fragile life is. At any moment I could be taken from this earth to the eternity that awaits all of us. I know more now than I ever have that our lives are a gift from God. My castle is still in need of work, but the king, prince, and princess that live here will hopefully be blessed because I am trying so hard to build the walls that will keep the enemy out.

My castle will one day be the castle of the third princess.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:39 AM

    How did they present this parable? I actually found this parable in book form from Deseret Book. I love the story and I would like to present to our young girls, but I don't know for sure how. I mean we could do a play, but there is not enought time to put one together. I was thinking about reading it, but that sounds a little boring. So, how did your stake present it? Thanks for the post. I am glad you enjoyed the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyndon, the production was actually given by a group who work with/for Jenny Phillips. It was in fireside format. There were speakers and then there were songs. There was a main narrator per say and she also sang. I know that Jenny Phillips has many firesides. You might want to look into a script for this type of thing. It was excellent.

    ReplyDelete