Sunday, January 23, 2011

Judge Not

The past couple of weeks have been hard for me. Last week Brett had a meeting with the Young Men and their parents re: scout camp. I wasn't in there. I was helping the boys pick up the trash out of the women's rest rooms. As Brett came down the hall I overheard him talking to the bishop. Apparently, a mother didn't like what camp was going to cost, and she didn't like that the dates that the boys were going were the same dates that the girls were going. Instead of taking her concerns outside in private, she attacked him in front of the youth and their parents. That's not ok with me. For one, I'm glad I wasn't in there as I have a hard time zipping my lips. For two, my husband takes vacation time to spend a week with these boys, as do the other Young Men leaders. It is not our decision to spend an enormous amount of $$ on camps. It's what it costs. Plain and simple. I hate that this behavior went on in front of the youth. What the...??? Since when do adults think it is ok to act like teenagers? To top it all off - THIS WOMAN IS A CAMP DIRECTOR!!! She knows what it takes to pull this stuff off.

After church we received a phone call from a parent supporting Brett. We were grateful for the support. We have since received text messages of support. I am glad to know that we have more support than not.

Today another instance happened where Brett was called under the carpet in front of a group of youth. He backed himself and SURPRISE this leader was in the wrong. I guess I'd like to just throw a little message out there.

Dear parents and leaders of youth,

Judge not, lest you should be judged. Put your money where your mouth is. If you don't like something, bring it up in private, or become a part of the scout committees in our ward and do something about it. Don't undermine the very leaders that sacrifice their time away from their families for your son. We are all entitled to inspiration regarding our callings. I'd like to think that 99% of the time we follow that inspiration. Maybe before you seek to pass a wrongful judgment, you can pray for your own guidance to know that what these leaders are doing is right.

Sincerely,

Me.

Whew - now that I have that off my chest....I think I'll finally try going to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment