Monday, January 10, 2011

Free is Relative

On Saturday, Ryan and I went to the Piano Gallery in Orem for a 'free' piano class. We purchased a digital piano for the family for Christmas, and with it we were told that we could come to a piano class for free. We were promised that we would be able to learn to play the piano in just 3 easy lessons.

Ryan has wanted to play the piano SO bad, so I thought it would be fun to take him to the class and see if we could get a good start anyway. Of course I don't believe that you can actually play as well as is promised in just three lessons, but it was worth the day out I thought.

We arrived in Orem just before 9am. We took our seats in the classroom and waited for our instruction. People continued to trickle in, and then the announcement was made like this "Well, we tout this class as free, but you need to buy the  book and it is $18.11 with the government's share." Now, I don't mind paying for a book that should help me, and hopefully my family play the piano (of course we will need lessons as well), but I did mind that we were 'sold' on a 'free' class that wasn't really 'free'. On top of that, this guy is a relative to Brett's family. I guess I expected a bit more. Oh well, we purchased the book and will report back as to whether or not it was all worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Fun that you got a piano! I want a piano so bad. In fact, I had a dream last night that a family who had three pianos gave me one of theirs. I was so happy!

    Thanks for inviting me to the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I hope you get a piano! We have really enjoyed ours. I hope your dream comes true. Now, if we could just find someone that has three of something that I dream of having...

    ReplyDelete