Monday, August 31, 2009

Becoming 'One' with the Bike

Since my quest has begun to ride 100 miles on my bike, I have really tried hard to learn as much as I can about my bike. I need to be able to fix it should I have a problem while I'm out on the road.

I've had a few experiences the past few days that have helped me realize that I still have a lot to learn.

First and foremost, don't ever clip your foot in the pedal and try to balance, showing your husband where your foot is when fully extended. Why, you ask? Well, it is extremely hard to clip back out, and you might just fall, while not moving, and bruise your knee, scuff up your arm, and hit your head on the nearest tree. Embarrassing.

Second, when you are getting multiple flat tires, have a second set of eyes look at your tires. Going through multiple tubes, and patching them all, only for them to go flat again during the next ride, is probably caused by a thorn that you don't see with your own eyes. (Don't worry, I now have new tires, and hopefully many miles will pass away flat free.)

Third, don't think that for a second, you will be able to leave the house as soon as the kids leave for school. It's great in theory, but anything that can go wrong will. This morning after two flat tires, a dropped chain, and I can't remember what else, I was finally able to get out of the house by 10am.

So, for now I am not 'One' with my bike.

However.

Each day is a new day, and thanks to the fact that I know people might be looking to see if I have ridden that day, I am getting out, and hopefully 8 weeks from now I will be stronger mentally and physically and a flat tire won't make me want to swear.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:48 PM

    When is your race, Deni? You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete