Sunday, August 09, 2009

The Reunion

Tuesday Night the kids and I went to the airport in SLC to pick up Brett. Delta Airlines has a great web site that allows you to track flights, and we saw that it was coming in 1/2 hour earlier than it was scheduled to come in. We hurried and got in the van and off we went.

As I pulled into the parking garage, I felt butterflies in my stomach. I felt like a little kid who couldn't wait for my birthday gifts. We entered the airport and Brett called and said they had landed. He asked where we were and I told him we were on the way. I didn't want him to know that we were there already. (He said he figured we were there though because I didn't tell him 'exactly' where we were).

The kids had made signs to welcome him home. Ryan wanted his to be simple, so he drew a yellow jersey, and had me draw a bike. Stupid me, I didn't take pictures of the event.

Ryan spotted Brett far before I did. I'm not sure what I was looking for, but both kids were jumping up and down telling me that they saw Brett on the escalator. I finally caught his eye about two steps before it hit the ground.

Brett hugged the kids and then hugged me. I didn't want to let go. Two weeks is a long time. TOO LONG!

The time away has caused me to reflect a lot on a lot of things.

First of all, I am SO grateful for my relationship with my husband. He is my friend, my confidant, my everything. My nights are not the same without him here. We are a partnership, an equal partnership. Sure, we have disagreements, but they have never been so bad that we couldn't get through it together.

I thought a lot about my brother-in-law Brian. While, I don't want to discount the relationship he has with his wife Ginger, I know he loves her, I thought of how hard it must be not to be able to talk to Azure. I know that I want to talk to her, but she wasn't my wife.

I talked to Brett every day while he was away. I am forever grateful for my iPhone. It is one of the best purchases we have made. Not only did I not get lost in Phoenix because of the GPS on it (that's a huge deal...just ask Brett), I was able to talk to him for FREE EVERY day thanks to Skype, and Vonage. I feel so blessed.

I am grateful that my reunion was only based on a 2 week stay away from the man I love. My heart hurts for those who will have to wait many more weeks, and even years to see those they love. I can only imagine the joy we will feel when the reunion comes. It will be heaven.

4 comments:

  1. Awww... That is so cute. Welcome home Brett.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear your posts always make me cry!! You have such a way of writing down your feelings. I wish I had that talent. Glad he is home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffani,

    I don't mean to make you cry! Sorry I didn't make it to your house while I was there. I told my mom I needed to get over to yours and Jami's houses and I just didn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post and once again you get me pondering!! Wish I could have seen you while you were here in town - I think you're AMAZING!I am glad your hubby is home - 2 weeks a part is rough!!

    ReplyDelete