Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Principle of Forever

Recently I was able to go to BYU's Women's Conference. I received a LOT of spiritual enlightenment that I will share, but since I wrote like 20 pages of notes, I thought I'd start with the Principle of Forever.

My first class was entitled "I love to see the temple."

Since I have stewardship over the little ones at church, I thought I would go to this class to hopefully gain an insight on how I can better serve the children in our ward, and my own children with regards to the temple.

Sister Elaine S. Dalton, Young Women General President, spoke. It is her remarks that inspire my writing tonight.

Whether or not you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints, Sister Dalton said "Everyone wants the principle of forever."

Isn't that true?

We don't know when the time will come that we or someone we love will pass from this life.

When it does happen, the pain is real.

Sometimes unbearable.

It is a physical pain.

Sometimes it is hard to describe.

Some days it is a little bit duller than others, and then some days the event flashes before you and the feeling of loss is all encompassing.

As Latter Day Saint Members (Mormons), we have a belief that God wants our families to be together forever.

A love without end.

Not till death do us part....Eternity....Forever.

This principle is made possible through the temple.

Sister Dalton said "We become refined as we prepare to enter the temple."

This is also true.

The temple is a place for those who are striving to live a good life. While we are not perfect, we work to become perfect as we live the covenants that we make while in the temple.

Temples are not new. They existed in biblical times as well in our day.

Today as we drove home from St George, I began singing a song that Hilary Weeks sings called "If I Only Had Today". In this song she talks about what she would do if she knew that she only had one day left to live. Part of the chorus says "Then I'd remind you of Forever, and how our love would never change. Because I have today."

I looked up to the beautiful Azure blue sky and felt FOREVER.

Of course this may be crazy, but my sister is in heaven.

She is my sister FOREVER.

I am bound by sacred covenants to my family. We are a FOREVER family.

This my friends is the Principle of Forever.

It's Mother's Day. I can have my family FOREVER!

3 comments:

  1. I heard her perform that song at time out for woman a few months back. Thank you for sharing your feelings!! Thank HEAVENS for the temple to keep us together FOREVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful - what a neat class to attend.
    The principle of Forever is what keeps me going, there are so many individuals that I long to be with again. Thanks - Your the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the beautiful and TRUE reminder! Life is precious, life is short for EVERYONE! Sometimes I worry so much about Emily's life being cut "short" but in reality it could be any one of us. It's is OK because we WILL be together again. Thank you

    ReplyDelete