Monday, January 07, 2008
Bib number 1515 and 1516
Ok, so by now you should know something about me.... I am pretty good about getting people to sign up for things that they think they might like, but in all honesty, they're not very sure about it. To illustrate my point, let me share a story. In July Brett and I participated in the Burley Spudman triathlon. It was great fun. Well, it would have been even better fun if I would have finished my run before Brett finished his. After all, he only beat my by 11 seconds....the race is on ladies and gentleman. Anyway, we came home and talked it up to some friends, and family members. Usually registration begins on December 31st at midnight. This year, a few days before that, we received an e-mail stating that registration would begin on January 7th at noon MST. So, I did what any good friend would do and started calling and e-mailing people. I had numerous dreams that I would not get in to the race and that all of my friends would. Well, the day is finally here. Just before noon I got a phone call. I politely told my friend that I needed to get off of the phone because one of the most important events of the year was about to begin and I needed to be online. I logged on to www.active.com and started the registration process. I tried an hour early and it didn't let me in, so I thought for sure it wasn't going to be turned on until 12:00 sharp. At about 12:07 give or take a few seconds, I got another phone call from a friend that had already gotten in. Her bib number was in the 700s. I not as politely got off the phone because dang it, this was important. When I got to the end of the screen asking for payment, I realized they did not take Discover. CRAP!!! That's the only card I have memorized. So, I tried calling Brett and of course he didn't answer either phone and so I had to run around trying to find my wallet. I found it where it should be...in the van and ran back in the house and entered my payment information. I clicked the submit button and it said "Please be patient, this process could take up to 3 minutes." So, I PATIENTLY sat here staring at my computer screen 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 4 minutes, 5 MINUTES, 6 MINUTES, 7 MINUTES, Oh please, don't let my dream come true MINUTES, 8 MINUTES, NINE MINUTES, Do I refresh the screen? MINUTES - 10 STINKIN' MINUTES!!! - Congratulations, your bib number is 1515 - WHEW! Now the training begins. Next year, I won't be answering the phone, and my credit cards will be near. I think for sure I had an angel watching over me. I don't think she wanted to see me cry today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment