Tuesday, February 08, 2011

She Ran Away

I've known for a long time that my daughter is a LOT like me. Today she proved it even more so.  After dinner we were cleaning up and she got mad because I had told her that she could play today and then it just didn't work out. She left the room and I told her that she needed to come in and help clean up the kitchen. She went back into the kitchen and Brett told her to sit down at the table to drink her milk. Of course she took her sweet little time (totally something I would have done). I gave her 'the look' and she started crying "Dad told me to drink my milk, and you told me to clean the kitchen -- I can't do two things at once!!"

Ahh...another thing I would have said.

I made her even more mad because I started laughing.

She stormed down the stairs and packed a bag.

A few minutes later she was going to run away to the park.

Brett made sure she had shoes on (she was going to leave barefooted - snow on the ground and everything). He also made sure she had a coat.

We told her we loved her and we watched out the window as she walked away.

Brett stared worrying that she wouldn't run away to the park, or that she wouldn't come home if she did so I went to look after her. She was walking by the fence and when she saw the car she put her little blanket in front of her face so that I couldn't 'see' her.

I laughed.

I passed a neighbor and a second later I had a text telling me that she had just passed Sydney and she was crying. She thought that maybe I was driving away and I hadn't seen her. I told her the situation.

I came home and Syd was back on the porch crying. She stood outside on the porch for a good 1/2 hour. I asked her to come in several times but she wouldn't. Finally she decided that she would like to have warm hands so she came in.

She ignored me for almost 2 hours. It's ok. That's what I do to people when I get mad too. I just need my time to get over it.

Sydney is definitely made out of my mold. She needs time when she is mad, she is overly sensitive, and she ran away. I ran away when I was her age too.

I didn't make it very far...

4 comments:

  1. Oh, the sweet memories. I love your blog. It has been fun to reminesce the things buried in the cobwebs of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deni...

    I had to laugh at this post...I've decided you guys are a lot nicer parents than mine here:) Every time I wanted to run away my parents told me I had to leave the house the same way I entered this world..with NOTHING. I wasn't about to run away naked:) You're such a good mom!

    And by the way...I love reading your blog. I love the way you right and express yourself. I so wish I had that talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiff - thanks. I looked in her bag when she got home. She had a doll blanket, and some coloring books and things to color with. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My younger brother tried to run away once. I "helped" him pack, by putting about three bricks in his bag when he wasn't looking. I walked with him the whole time. A few blocks into the journey I convinced him that he needed some food-- so we went home. :)

    ReplyDelete