Monday, October 13, 2008

More than Love

A few years ago I was counseling with a friend and he said "the goal you want in your marriage is that it becomes more than love." He related a story about serving an older couple for some time. The wife was starting to deteriorate in health and the husband was caring for her. He posed the question "You love her, don't you?" The gentleman replied, "Oh, it's much more than love now." So, to me, the friend said, "You'll know when you're on the right track with your relationship when it becomes more than love."

So, this morning the realization came to me that "it's much more than love."

Last night was a bad one. I think I went through all of the stages of grief in one night. Sadness, anger, all of it.

My kind husband sat quietly, and unknowingly I'm sure, buoyed me.

It was after midnight before my mind stopped reliving the events of a year ago and comfort set in enough for me to go to sleep.

I awoke this morning at 7:23am in somewhat of a panic. I could hear Brett in the other room, and I knew I needed to hurry and help get the kids ready for school and Brett off to work. I got dressed and walked out of the bedroom and to my surprise Brett was still in his pajamas. I asked him if I could help him hurry and get to work and he said he had taken the day off to spend with me.

I know he stayed home because he knew I would need someone today. He helped me get the house completely cleaned.

This my friends is More than Love

3 comments:

  1. He is such an amazing man, Deni. I am so glad that 2 wonderful people found each other and are making each other happy. Thanks for the example. I am so sorry for your grief. There are too few words to express so much. My heart aches for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very blessed. Dad and I are very happy to have Brett looking after you. We love all of you.

    ReplyDelete