Today was Ryan's first Cub Scout Day Camp. He won't officially be a cub until he turns 8, but they let him go to day camp today. He had a great time. I'm not sure that I have taught him too well. I'll explain.
A few months ago one of Ryan's friends asked him to go to a play with him. She said to bring some money for the concession. Ryan borrowed some money from Sydney $3 or $4 and I just knew that he would just get something small and call it that. Well, holy crap, he spent every penny. I didn't know how much the candy, etc would be so we sent a little extra with the instruction "Ryan, you don't have to spend all of this money. Just get a treat and call it good." Well, silly us. Ryan came home with a mother load of candy and he spent EVERY dime.
Well, today I thought I'd give him a chance to redeem himself. The scout leaders told us that we could send some cash with the kids to spend at the trading post. Brett told me to only send $2. Again, I didn't know how much he would need. The trading post at the scout camp that Brett went to last year pretty much robbed you, so I thought that the same might be true here. So, I sent $4, with the instruction "Ryan, you don't have to spend all of this money."
Ryan got home from scout camp at 1:30pm. I was on my way home from running errands so I just had him sit on the porch until I got home. I was only a couple of miles away when his leader called me. When I pulled into the drive way he showed me the MOTHER LOAD that he got from scout camp. I asked him how much money he spent and he smiled and said $4! Well, good for me. I have taught my son to spend everything he gets. Next time, he will take his own money to spend at the trading post. He is much more frugal with his own money. I think he gets that from his dad. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment