Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Day One - Surgery

After a long day of driving, and intermittent sleep, we had to be at the Ford Surgery Center at 9:15 am for check-in. Our hotel was about 12 minutes from the hospital with no traffic, and 17 minutes with traffic. Brett took Sydney down to the continental breakfast to eat while I finished getting ready. It was raining outside and I prayed that the rain was not a precursor for grim things to come. I was not looking forward to having my son put under again. Medical procedures for Ryan have gotten harder on this old mom throughout the years.

We checked in before our scheduled time and then sat and waited for the staff to call us back. Sydney wanted her hair french braided so I quickly got on that task, and I welcomed the distraction. A nurse came out and called Ryan back for vitals and weight. Brett went with him. They seemed to be gone for a while so I asked the lady at the front desk if I would get to see Ryan again before surgery, or if that was it. Just as she went to ask, Ryan and Brett walked back through the door. We sat for a few more minutes - Brett, Ryan and Sydney watched videos on their phones and I read an article on my LDS app on my phone. I needed peace.

Syd, Brett and Ryan in the first waiting room.


When Ryan was called back again, I went with him this time. Brett and Sydney said their goodbyes and we went back to our corner. Ryan was given the remote and he chose a movie to watch to pass the time. He chose "Emperor's New Groove", a family favorite.



Ryan had to clean his body with antibacterial wipes. I helped him wash his arms, neck, and back, and then I was banished to outside the curtain. He's a teenager now, and mom seeing his goods is embarrassing. I understood.

Ryan was given two patches to numb his hand and his arm when they took his vitals. After he was fully dressed and ready for surgery, the nurse came in and tried to start an IV. She removed both patches and examined his hand and his arms. She struggled finding a good vein. Ryan's veins were very small. It didn't help that we had spent the entire day in the car the day before surgery not drinking enough water.


She attempted to place the IV and was unsuccessful. She called the anesthesiologist in and asked him to place the IV. They had a device that shot numbing medicine into the area where the IV was going to go as neither of the spots where the patches were placed panned out. It was less than a minute before his IV was placed. As the anesthesiologist was flushing the line Ryan said, "Thank you. I feel relaxed already." The anesthesiologist grinned and said, "I haven't given anything to you yet." Ryan replied, "Thank you placebo effect."

The entire room burst into laughter.







I signed all of the consents and it was time to say goodbye. Ryan and I both were a bit emotional. Neither of us knew if this was a final goodbye and we were both nervous at the possibility.



Headed to the OR

No comments:

Post a Comment