Friday, November 06, 2015

Day 4 - Baby Steps

Brett came to spell me off around 10am. Ryan had recently received his Oxycodone and he was feeling high on life. His pain number - zero. It was the first time I had heard zero and it was a welcomed number. Ryan's sense of humor has returned. He is a very brilliant kid and very witty. Brett was teasing him and he held up his hand. He asked, "How many fingers?" Ryan replied, "Seven." We all laughed.

I left the hospital and I was tired. Sydney was anxious to show me the soccer field at the Ronald McDonald House. It was everything I had to give her the time she needed. She desperately needs my time. We played soccer for 15-20 minutes and I asked her if we could go lay down. When I am on night duty, I struggle to get back to sleep when I wake up to answer questions, or I hear the nurses come in.

Sydney was hungry, but we are all tired of Mexican food. Don't get me wrong, we all love it. We have just been eating it nearly every day. I offered to take her to Sizzler and she was on board immediately. We both welcomed a salad that we didn't have to pay for by the pound. We drove to Sizzler and as we were driving we passed a Target. I told Sydney that we should stop by Target on the way home and just walk around. We both needed the diversion.

As we pulled in to the parking lot where Sizzler is located, we saw a Payless Shoes. Sydney had purchased a pair of slippers at home and they were the wrong size. I brought them with me along with the receipt in hopes that I could have some time to return them while we were away. I was grateful that Sydney noticed the store and that we had the shoes in the car still, and I had thought to put the receipt in my purse.

Brett sent me a few text messages. Ryan was out of bed and they were bathing him and changing his sheets. I was the one who witnessed that the day before so this was a new experience for Brett. Ryan got light-headed while out of bed and dry heaved a bit. Being up and around was a bit harder on him today.

As Sydney and I were leaving Target, the car was beeping. I said to her "Syd, you need to put your seat belt on." She replied, "Mom, it's your seat belt." I was tired. There would be no more out and about for me until I could get a nap. My state of mind was becoming clouded and I wasn't going to be a hazard on the road. It was time to go home and take a nap.

Syd and I went back to the Ronald McDonald house and decided that we both needed naps. We turned out the lights, closed the blinds and slept for 2 hours.

We returned to the hospital at 6:30pm. Ryan was alert and back to his normal self. His pain continued to be a zero and that made me happy.

Below is the message I sent the family and friends.

Update Day 4 - Today was a great day and I missed it so Brett will have to correct me if I am wrong. Ryan's pain was tolerated very well today. When Brett arrived at the hospital today for the changing of the guard, Ry had just had pain meds. The nurse had just walked in and asked Ryan what his pain number was and he said in his glossy-eyed state "zero". She giggled a little bit and said "wow Ryan, that stuff is really working." Brett walked beside his bed and held up his hand and said "how many fingers?" Ryan made us all laugh when he answered "7".

The chest tube is still draining and his lung was still leaking air today. They will try again tomorrow to remove suction. Once they do that, he will be disconnected from the wall and they will attempt to get him to walk again. Ry sat in a chair today, but this time he nearly passed out and he dry heaved a bit. He's not quite ready to be up for long periods of time. 

Ry ate cereal and apple sauce for breakfast, rice for lunch, and 3/4 of a hamburger for dinner. He is feeding himself now and his appetite is slowly returning. One challenge we have faced is that the food takes 45 minutes to arrive. Many times by the time it gets to the room, he no longer wants to eat. It takes coaxing to help him realize that he needs to eat. His recovery has been longer than we originally thought, but I am in no hurry to get him out of there. 

My public service announcement for today - Have gratitude. The nurses who care for you and your children work hard. They work 12 hour shifts, but are there longer than that as they pass the baton. Thank them and their techs. Treat them with respect. Thank you nurses. 

Today's miracle - Zero pain

No comments:

Post a Comment