Ryan's lung is still leaking. One of his doctors feels so bad about it. I don't feel bad. I have just changed my expectations. We are now on day 10 of being in CA. I have no urgency to return home until I absolutely know that my son is ok.
Ryan had a great day in terms of pain management and being able to eat. I spent the late afternoon/evening with him while Brett took Syd on a date. I have been the one to do extra things with Syd to keep her entertained and she and Brett haven't exactly gotten along all that well. We decided that it was time for him to spend some time with her that wasn't forcing her to do her homework.
Sydney and I had purchased some chocolates earlier in the day so that Ryan could give them to the nurses and techs who have cared for him this hospital stay. I wrote thank you notes and had Ryan sign them. He delivered a couple of the notes and thanked the staff who have cared for him today.
At 4:30 Ryan told me that it was dinner time. That is the first time he has mentioned to me that he wants dinner. I got out the menu and nothing sounded good. I asked him if he wanted me to go somewhere else to grab dinner. There are a few food places somewhat close to the hospital. He said that a steak burrito sounded really good. There is a restaurant on the Stanford campus that sells steak burritos. It is 1.2 miles from the hospital. I knew that I could get there in under 15 minutes and then head back. I decided I would do that as it was more important to me that he have a good dinner than anything else.
I headed outside the hospital and tried following the directions on my Google Maps. It proved to be harder than I thought it would be. They are currently building a new hospital next to the current hospital and there is a lot of construction. Every place I was told to walk was cut off because of construction. It was dark and I knew I wouldn't be able to find my way very well in the dark. I stopped and spoke with the parking agents and neither of them knew where I needed to go. So, I called Ryan and told him I would have to go somewhere else.
I ran to the Stanford mall to see what my options were there. I found a Chipotle and called Ry again and asked him if he was interested in food from there. He agreed that a burrito sounded good. I ordered and ran back to the hospital. I was gone longer than I had hoped, but Ryan ate 1/2 the burrito and I was happy he did. I finished what he could not eat. I welcomed the exercise. It has been hard to get any extra exercise in between the back and forth hospital schedules.
No comments:
Post a Comment