I remember being fascinated by the story of the Salem Witch Trials when I was a kid. Never in a million years did I ever think that I might possibly be able to walk the grounds of this very interesting town.
But, as luck would have it, we were only 30 minutes away so on day two of our trip, I ventured out alone to Salem, MA.
I made it there without incident. I went straight to the Salem Witch Museum, and lucky me, I arrived two days after the main season ended for many attractions, but just in time to have a personal tour of the museum. I watched a 20-30 minute presentation of the hysteria of the days back in 1692. What a heartbreaking story. -- Girls being accused of possessing others through the devil and being hanged for it. --Men also being tried and convicted and either hanged, or pressed to death with heavy boulders.



It was said that if you could recite the Lord's prayer without mistake that you were free. A man with a noose around his neck did just that and he was accused of having Satan help him. He died anyway.
Many were put in jail for many years for the accusations. They even incarcerated a 4-year old little girl and chained her to a wall.
I loved my day in Salem. I visited the memorial created for these victims. It is a solemn reminder of what so wrongly happened to them.
I took pictures of the cemetery,

and of Samantha from Bewitched.

And then...
I took a small street and there I was...at the Salem harbor, or as they say in Salem - H-ah-bor. Seriously, I think I need to live on a boat in the harbor.

No comments:
Post a Comment