Sunday, August 11, 2013

Summer Vacation Day Ten

After the IDF conference was over, we took the metro out to the airport to rent a car. Stupid me chose the wrong car size for our family, even though the picture said it would accommodate 4 people and 2 suitcases. We were offered a 2 door fiat. Uh, yeah. So, we were gouged by the company and had to pay an extra $80 to upgrade. I was not thrilled about that.

Our plan was to drive to Brett's uncle's home. We love staying with Uncle Ken and his family. They have a beautiful family and they are the perfect hosts. I feel so comfortable in their home and I love them very much.

Sydney woke up Monday morning not feeling well. Poor kid felt rotten. Add diabetes on top of a sickness and you have a crappy combination. Our plan was to go into Washington DC to see the sights. We knew that the closer we got to the 4th of July, the busier the district would be. We couldn't go in with Syd feeling the way she did though.

We all ate breakfast and gave Syd some ibuprofen that Brett had gone to the store for. Within a couple of hours Sydney was acting better and feeling much better. We made the decision to go ahead and make our trek into DC where we would try to see much of what is there.

Brett's cousin works for Senator Hatch (R) - Utah. We were fortunate that because of her ties to the Capitol, we got behind the scenes treatment and we were able to see things that the general public is not allowed to see.

The view from the balcony at our nation's capitol.

Brigham Young
Lincoln Memorial

Washington Monument



Family pic in front of the Lincoln Memorial


Arlington Cemetery

Poor Sydney was back to feeling like crap by the end of the Capitol tour. We pushed her a bit to see anything else. I had to leave her meds back in Shannon's office so everything had worn off by the time we were moving on to see things. I feel horrible that she felt so bad. I am grateful for what we were able to see.

I guess we'll just have to return to DC so we can see the rest of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment