I hope that one day Syd can look back on her life and realize how special she is. I had the opportunity to work in her classroom today. I arrived early and got instructions from the teacher. The recess bell rang and the children began to file into the classroom. The teacher gave instructions to the class to get out their math journal, and their math book. I quietly observed as Sydney followed instructions and took out her journal, and then as if it were her responsibility, she turned the the little guy next to her and gently took out his journal and his math book and helped him with the instructions the teacher had given. The little boy never acknowledged Syd, but he has special needs, and I don't know that he would even think to thank her. I was amazed at her tenderness towards him. I pulled the teacher aside and asked if she always did just what I had observed her doing. The teacher affirmed that yes, Sydney was always helpful, and she put her there because Timmy needed the help. I was touched by her example.
On August 6th, Sydney became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints by being baptized. My experience in teaching Sydney about the gospel has been different than with Ryan and I appreciate the opportunities it has awarded me. My testimony has grown in being able to answer her questions.
We were fortunate to have family attend Syd's special event. Aunt Jessica braided her hair while I got the food ready for the luncheon we had following her baptism. Grandma and Grandpa Berger were in attendance along with Aunt Stefanie, Uncle Garrin, and family, and Aunt Teresa and her children. Grandma and Grandpa Bigler were also in attendance as well as Aunt Jessica, Uncle Nic and family (including Nic's sister), and my cousin Kania. Brett baptized her and Grandpa Bigler confirmed her a member of the church and gave her the gift of the Holy Ghost. My emotions were hard to contain. I always love baptisms. I love the special spirit that is present.
Now that school is in full swing, I rarely get time with Syd. She is busy doing homework, chores and playing with friends. We had the fun opportunity of watching her do a little 'junior drill team' performance last week at the JV football game. She did a great job and enjoyed the time she spent with her friend.
I recognize Sydney's divine nature. She has come to me from a much higher power than I can comprehend. I hope and pray that I can be the mother that she needs and teach her the principles she needs to withstand the temptations of our day. She truly is the daughter of a King.
No comments:
Post a Comment