Saturday, March 05, 2011

Angels in the Outfield

It is said that angels frequent the halls of a children's hospital. I was administered by them. Ryan was administered by them.

10 years ago I distinctly remember asking the nurses of the Children's Hospital Los Angeles how long it would take for Ryan to heal. The answer was "a long time". My first thought - 10 years. Of course, it didn't take 10 years to heal my son, but here we are 10 years later and I can hardly believe that we are that far out.

A baby died last month of SCID. The death triggered some emotions that I haven't felt in a long time in regards to SCID. The disease is curable. The problem is that very few states even test for it until it is too late.

This month Ryan is learning about genetics in school. I asked his teacher if she would like me to come and share our story with her class. She agreed and so I went and taught Ryan's 5th grade class about SCID. I showed pictures and answered questions and tried not to get choked up.







 








I looked through more pictures when I got home and realized that my faith is stronger because of Ryan's life. I know that angels carried me as did the healing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. After all, if you build your faith, they will come.

1 comment:

  1. My heart aches when I look at those pictures. What a miracle our little Ryan is. I, too, am so grateful for the tender mercies which have allowed us to watch him grow and partake of his sweet, loving spirit. I love you all and I am so very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete