Monday, October 19, 2009

Riding my back wheel

In cycling, one hooks on (not literally), to the back wheel of the person they are riding with so as to take a break from the work load of grinding the pedals. Some call that riding in the slip stream, which I have found really works if you can keep the cadence of the person in front of you. If you can't, well then you work doubly hard.

I work doubly hard.

Anyway.

On Saturday Brett rode in the Tour of St George.

It is a 100 mile bike race that takes you through three state parks, Snow Canyon, Sand Hollow and Quail Creek. I really don't know what that means, but that's what their web site says, and it sounds cool.

The weather promised to be nice. Highs in the 80's, lows in the 50's. (Brett said it felt hotter than 80's when he was climbing. I'm sure his body temperature was much hotter than that)

I wanted to go and support him SO bad. Problem was, I still can't drive, so I would be stuck in the same spot all day. Instead, I shed a few tears, and enjoyed just over 24 hours with my in-laws. They are wonderful.

On Friday, as Brett was getting ready for his trip, he informed me that he was going to ride my back wheel in the race. Of course this wasn't the same "ride your back wheel" that it would have been had I been there...

That back tire is literally the back tire off of my now unusable bike

Then, yesterday I noticed he had his legs marked. It's not uncommon for participants to have their bodies marked. Brett's body marking was unique though. When I got up closer, I realized he had my name on both of his calves.

My legs have never looked so good!


When questioned about it, he simply stated that he rode my back wheel, and used my legs for the ride.

What a guy.

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing husband. How genuinely sweet a guesture. I sure hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! What a great guy to think of those things and include you, have you there with him in spirit...and back wheel :) Very touching. You two seem to be very in tune with one another, youre lucky to have eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet! I am so sorry that you couldn't do the race. I can only imagine how hard it was for you. I love you and will miss you tons. I'll try to stop by and say a quick goodbye before I leave. And I will be back in January, so if not, we'll party then. Tell Brett he is super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, that's cool. Way to go studman Brett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHATTA MAN!!!! How blessed you are to have such a guy!!! sorry you couldn't go!! hope you are getting better FAST!!

    ReplyDelete