Today I took Ryan to Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City. The weather was very WET as we traveled the road this morning. I had Ryan say a prayer that we would make it there safely. We got to a point that we were traveling at 45 MPH because there was so much standing water on the freeway and the rain was continuing to pour.
As we entered PCMC, we were given directions to a Child Psychologist's office. We went there and they had moved, so we finally made it to where we needed to be at 9:15 (We were supposed to be there at 9am). I was introduced to the Psychologist and he took us back to his office. He told me he would need Ryan for about 4 hours, and I asked if I could leave. He said yes, so I went downstairs to visit someone in the PICU.
After visiting, I made my way back to the 4th floor and asked if I could go back to Ryan's evaluation and they told me they didn't want to interrupt, so I sat and waited, and waited, and waited. At about 1:15pm Ryan and the Dr came and found me. I was given such great information about Ryan.
Please allow myself to brag a bit...
Ryan has just finished the 3rd grade, and he is at an 8-9th grade reading level, and a 5-6th grade math level. The Dr said that normally children who are smart like Ryan are nerdy, but that Ryan was well rounded. I got a good laugh out of that. (On the way home Ryan told me he was glad he was not nerdy and liked being 'round')
I am proud of Ryan and his accomplishments. He works hard in school and he loves learning. I'm not sure where he gets it, but I'll take it.
We also got to see our friends Jill and Emily Heaps. They were there for clinic and we were so happy to meet up with them again.
After the update on Ryan's results, we went to the cafeteria and had lunch with some of the people we know who are up there with their child. I was surprised to see them there, but happy we were able to visit a little bit.
After lunch, we were back up to the 4th floor for the long term Bone Marrow follow-up. Ryan's counts are fantastic. He is still 100% donor (SUCH A MIRACLE), and everything has checked out just fine.
We are so lucky to have Ryan in our lives. He is a sweet boy, and very sensitive to others. I was told by Dr Weinberg this morning that since Ryan is 100% donor 8 years post transplant, that we have a 99+% chance of him staying that way through life.
Miracles are happing every day!
That is so amazing, Deni. It's good to brag about your kids. That's what blogs are for.
ReplyDeleteWhat a little miracle boy!! Such great news!!
ReplyDeleteWow, Ryan is amazing!
ReplyDelete