Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Catching Up...again

I guess if I would sit down and do this more often I wouldn't have so much catching up to do. We have been extremely busy around here so taking time to update my blog has been put on the back burner.

So first things first:

Training Update

Last week I decided to increase the mileage that I run. I was able to run 6 miles in 54 minutes. I hope that as I continue running I can shave some time off of that but I am pleased that I can even run a 9 minute mile for that distance.

On Monday night we took the kids to the pool. I swam first and then Brett swam. Brett told me on the way to the pool that he wouldn't swim unless I swam a full mile. Swimming a mile in a 50 meter pool is much different than swimming in a 25 yard pool. (Read Brett's blog for the full explanation). When we got to the pool the HS Swim team had most of the pool and there was only one lap lane to share with 5 or so other people. So, being that I am a TURTLE, I'm sure I irritated many a people in my lane. By lap 6 I was sure I was done for and I would swim another 2 laps and be done (I needed 16 laps). Then I recalled a few conversations. One, that Brett said he would not swim unless I went a mile, and Two - I had just told Ryan earlier that you can do anything that you can set your mind to. So, I set my mind to swimming another 10 laps and off I went. It took me 41 minutes to swim that mile. Is that Turtlee enough for you?

Today I rode my bike. I have a couple more weeks of not having to find a babysitter on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for a couple of hours. So, I took to the road. As I was leaving our subdivision I rolled to a stop sign and a car was coming. I moved over to the side of the road and couldn't get my stupid foot out of the petal so down I went. Good thing I have strong elbows. I really thought I might have dislocated my shoulder for a minute because it was really sore, but I was determined to get my ride in. I rode 26 miles in 1:37 - a mile longer, and a minute shorter than the last ride that I took. So, this is all small improvements I realize, but I am improving nonetheless.

Now for other updates

Last weekend was the father and son's outing. Sydney and I had a girls night 'in'. We rented a movie and made some caramel popcorn (not a good thing if you are trying to trim your waist size btw). We enjoyed spending time together and having a slumber party in my bed.

On Saturday we went to the cycle store as a family and Brett and the kids went next door and purchased my Mother's Day gift. I would love to post a picture, but we're having technical difficulties, so you'll have to read Brett's blog for that one too.

Sunday was a great day. I enjoyed spending time with family. I talked with my mom first thing in the morning and had a total meltdown when I got off the phone. It seems that most of my thoughts have turned to my sister Azure who passed away in October. I haven't cried that hard since all of this happened and I guess Sunday was the day. I just miss her. I want to talk to her and tell her she was a good mom. I long to see her smiling face. I never thought pain could be so deep, yet the sense of peace I feel is undeniable. Uhh humm, tears falling...I'm done with that one.

We're plugging along here. I signed up for a running class with the UVU continuing education program. It starts tomorrow. Maybe I'll learn how to better my technique and be a little faster. I think I'd like to run a marathon one day. (Ron, I'll let you know if I do and maybe you can do it with me).

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, the shoes or whatever they are that they got your for mother's day are pretty freaky looking.

    Congrats on working so hard for the triathalon. Not really something I would want to do, but I admire you for doing it and doing it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freaky looking! What??? Ha, just kidding. Yes, they are very interesting, but VERY comfortable. I hope to be able to run on grass with them and strengthen my legs so that I can preserve my knees.

    ReplyDelete