Friday, March 14, 2008

Catching UP

Last week Shane and Ron visited us from Texas. We took Ron ice fishing on Thursday and I think we are the wrong group of people to go fishing together. We didn't catch a thing. Well, Ron "caught" a couple, courtesy of some other groups out on the lake. It's a running joke around our house because every time we go fishing Terry, Brett's dad goes to Sportsman's Warehouse to buy bait. EVERY trip he ends up talking to some "old boy" (Terry's words) and they tell him the 'bait' to use. EVERY trip he spends 15-20 bucks on this 'miracle bait' and we never catch a thing on it. We usually catch fish with a trusty ol' worm, which I HATE to touch, but I'm getting better.

As we were getting ready to go out on the lake Terry befriended a 'professional' fisherman. Smart guys I think. They tout their stuff and get a free ride across the lake to their 'special' spot. I keep thinking that I'd love to mock them until my throat is sore, but they caught fish, and I didn't so they must be doing something right. We spent the day watching our poles very carefully only to leave empty handed. Ron proved that he would be a great candle maker as he lowered his pole and raised it several times only to have ice build up on his line. I've never seen so much ice buildup on a line.

When we got bored, we would go out on the snowmobiles. I no longer enjoy riding the dang things. There's something about flipping one that makes a person not want to get back on. At about 1pm we started packing up to go home. Terry and Ron were out on the snowmobiles so Brett and I put everything up and just laid by the sled that Terry has made to put all of the gear in. When they returned we hooked it on to the snowmobile. Terry asked me to go to the 'professionals' tent and let them know we were leaving.

As I approached their tent I said "knock, knock". They opened up the little zippered door and I let them know we were leaving. The guy said, "Well, are you going to pull us back with your sled?" I told him he needed to get ready because we were leaving right then. I wanted to tell him - It's not a sled - it's a S-N-O-W-M-O-B-I-L-E! Oh well! We took our stuff back to the truck and Terry and Brett went back to take them closer to shore. They didn't take their tent down! I wish I would have been watching as these men were trying to hold on to their tent as they moved their way back across the lake. I was too busy taking off my snow pants, boots, etc.

All in all we had a pretty fun day, even though we didn't catch a fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment