Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Walk Down Memory Lane

**It's a long one**

I was 18 years old when I left home. I was ready for a change. My life was not taking me where I felt it needed to be taking me. I knew I needed some kind of education, but I also knew that I could not afford college. So, with $150 in my pocket and everything I owned packed tightly into my little Geo Metro convertible, I made my journey from Arizona to Utah.

It was July, and it was hot. The plan was that I would follow the Interstate the entire way. It took me over 12 hours to get to where I was going. I now know a better route that takes me 8 1/2 hours if I am alone, and slightly longer with the fam.

My cousin and her husband were gracious enough to let me live with them. I felt guilty staying with them so I quickly found a job, and I found a place to live with a family nearby. The rental was a diaster and still makes me teary when I think about it. My cousin and I laugh that I must have felt like they were the getto. I didn't feel that way, but I didn't want to take advantage of them either. I was young. I was immature, but I was on my own.

Sometime in either August or September of 1996, I cannot remember when, I was able to purchase a contract to an apartment, and it wasn't too long after that that I was able to get a better job than the graveyard shift at Denny's. (Deni at Denny's = awesome).

At the time, temp agencies were a popular way to get a job. I had great typing skills so I knew that I could find something using those skills. There was a call center that was hiring several hundred people and I was lucky enough to be one of those people.

During the orientation, I remember the roll call very clearly. Deni Bigler - here. Brett Berger - here. I clearly remember thinking (Berger...poor guy, that's a terrible last name, I'm sure he was teased...) We were then called into different training groups and we trained for the various positions.

A few days into training, I was put onto the phones. The learning curve wasn't that big and i caught on quickly. Little did I know that someone had noticed that I was excelling.

A few weeks into working I ended up on the same team with that young man named Brett Berger. One day  Brett asked me why I hadn't responded to his e-mail. I asked him "What's e-mail?" This was 1996 you know. I came from a small town and you had to pay a lot of money for Internet. I didn't have a clue how to e-mail. Brett quickly showed me how and our relationship was born.

Six months from the time I met Brett Berger, I was married to him. Two days from now I will celebrate 15 years with Brett. He is my best friend. We have been through a lot together. He accepts me through all of my weaknesses. He looks past my faults and loves me for me. I love him with all of my heart.

2 comments: