Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Open Letter Series - Part One

I have a few beefs. As such, I figure I might as well address them, and what better place than a blog for the world to read?

This one is for the motorist(s) that I pass on the road when I am riding my bike.

Dear Motorist,

Yeah, you in the four-wheeled car that has a dash and a windshield. You who are sitting on a cushioned seat, and being shielded by the body of your precious vehicle. I want to talk to you today.

Did you know that you share the road? Did you know that the right shoulder of the road might possibly have a cyclist on it? Of course we ride the shoulder so that you can zoom around us, leaving us to brace our bikes so as to not fall over.

Did you know that when you pull up to an intersection, say with a STOP sign that you just MIGHT want to look BOTH WAYS? Maybe your intersection doesn't have a stop sign. Maybe you are on a side street that connects with a straightaway. Do you think you could possibly SLOW DOWN and look to see if there is someone coming? Say a bicyclist?

Is your "I'm bigger" mentality such that when you do look to the left you think you can pull out in front of said cyclist? Maybe you think your 5 mph pull-out will be faster than the 20 mph that I am riding on the shoulder. Let me tell you, it isn't faster. You'd be right to hang out for the extra 30 seconds that it takes me/us to pass your vehicle. It would save your heart rate, and mine/ours. Slamming on the brakes on a skinny-tired, fast-moving bicycle is not only uncomfortable, is sometimes causes a crash, and let me tell you - that not only hurts, it takes a LONG time to heal - physically and emotionally.

So, Mr./Mrs. Motorist (Avon Lady), next time you take to the road, remember you're not the only one on it.

Be considerate.
Stop at the stop sign.
AND

LOOK BOTH WAYS!

Slow down in the residential areas.

Not only are there children at play, there are folks like me getting a ride in.



Thanks for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Bicylist

5 comments:

  1. I got worried when I saw the title of this pop up in google reader. "Open letters" sometimes end with things like "and for all these reasons, I have become Jehovah's Witness." So I'm relieved for you and Brett. :-) I'm guessing that the whole story behind this post relates to "Avon Lady." Let's hear more about that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    "Avon Lady" is just one of MANY vehicles I have encountered while on the road. I just felt vindicated by using her name :).

    P.S. I'm not educated enough to write about Jehovah's Witnesses, and besides, I like windows too much to join ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I have to thank you for making me be more aware and sensitive to cyclists. I have to admit I have HATED people when they are biking on narrow roads, especially in a windy canyon road. I am afraid I am going to hit them or get hit by an oncoming car. I don't mind when there is plenty of room and they aren't in the middle of the road going 15 miles and hour.

    I must say I have been disappointed with how they (not all of course) treat runners. Especially in Provo Canyon. They REFUSE to move an inch!
    So I guess it's a great reminder for us all to be more courteous to those around us and remember that we all have feelings!!!

    YOU ARE SO DARLING BY THE WAY!! thanks for making me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, I agree with you. Cyclist are at fault as well. I just happen to be a cyclist :). A cyclist who has been hit by a motorist.

    It would be nice if there were wider roads so that there was room for everyone. It would also be nice if people didn't play the "I'm bigger" game. Motorist bigger than cyclists, cyclists bigger than runners, etc.

    Anyway, I love you to pieces and I will be sure I am watching as well. I know that since my accident I have been much more alert, especially in my car.

    ReplyDelete