A few years ago Syd was invited to play on a competition league soccer team. Little did we know that invitation would shape much of what we do for the weeks, months, and now years to come. Sydney loves playing soccer. It is good for her. She feels like she is a part of something, and being active does wonders for her diabetes care. It is quite amazing how much exercise can affect your blood sugar.
Last summer we moved Syd to a new team. We have now been a part of 3 teams. Her current team is amazing. They don't win games often, but the girls on the team are friends, and there is very little drama. I have also learned to bridle my mouth. I am competitive by nature. And by competitive, I mean I have a hard time watching girls stand on the field, and I have struggled watching a team lose. I have been grateful this year that the atmosphere of our team is so different that losing has been ok. Girls aren't bad talking the other teams or even the referees. They're disappointed when they lose, but winning is not the focus. Syd is learning that there is much more to a team than winning and I'm grateful for that.
 |
| Syd's first shot |
 |
| The ball went just past the goalie's gloves and made it in. Go Syd. |
No comments:
Post a Comment